Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Day UK Stole My Heart, with special thanks to Myron Pryor

Kentucky Sports Radio is holding a contest known as "Who wants to be a blogger?" for one lucky fan to win the chance to write for their blog. I didn't enter because I would be a lousy sports writer, but I did think about it for a hot minute, simply, because I love KSR and competition.  I took a look at the application and read the writing prompts for the 750 word essay required for entry.  I must say, they were much better writing prompts than any I encountered in my college/scholarship application process.  

There was one in particular that I enjoyed:

Best UK Football Personal Experience

And here is what I think  I would say:

     I have been a University of Louisville Cardinal fan my whole life.  Please don't give up on me after that statement.  
     The truth is, I owe my existence to the Cardinals.  My parents met on the night of the 1986 National Championship.  It was actually the last time UL won the National Championship, so maybe that was a jinx.  But...if UL hadn't been in the championship that year, the party where my parents met would not have happened; therefore, I wouldn't be on this earth.
     I grew up wearing a little UL cheerleader uniform and despising UK fans. Then, a day finally came when all of that changed.
     My decision to attend the University of Kentucky was based upon the college's academic superiority over UL (and also, the hefty scholarship I was offered.)  I knew that I would cheer on my school, but had assumed I would always be a UL fan at heart and just keep that fact about me in the closet.  I was mistaken.  My heart found a new love within the University of Kentucky.
     It happened on the day of UK's first football game of the 2008 season, which happened to be the UL game.  I traveled home to Louisville and headed to a friend's house to watch the game, only a mile away from Papa John's Stadium.  I wore a UK shirt to support my school, but my mind would be subconsciously saying, "C'mon Cards!" 
     But as the game started, I found myself whole-heartedly cheering on my Wildcats.  Every ounce of me wanted UK to win.  When Myron Pryor picked up that fumble and ran 72 yards, it seemed as if the red blood running through my veins instantly changed into a brilliant shade of royal blue (or UK blue as they call it in the Bluegrass).
     I found myself doing things I never thought I would do that night: trashing Hunter Cantwell, texting my embarrassed and disappointed UL friends after the Cats claimed victory, and even more Card bashing at the after-party. 
     During that one defensively dominated game, I became a true UK fan.  I not only have pride in my school, but in my team, as well.  I wake up earlier for ticket sales, wear Wildcat apparel daily, attend all home games,  make sure I get on TV cheering for my Cats, sing the fight song, do The Claw, and read KSR daily.  What can I say? I bleed blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment