Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Blackberry saved the day.

I've gone to the dark side. Or maybe I've just caught up to speed with our fast-paced world.  I had a pretty miniscule dilemma this week that reminded me of how technologically dependent America has become. 

Call me old-fashioned, but I like to be simple.  Even after CDs were the norm, I still bought cassette tapes for some time.  I have an Apple MacBook that was a gift, but have no idea how to use 75% of its features. I never type notes or assignments, always pen and paper. I don't read the news online; I still read the newspaper every day. I don't keep a task list or reminders in my phone; I write to-do lists in a small notebook that resides in my purse. Recently, however, I have found myself succumbing to the evil known as technology.  

I bought a Blackberry last month in hopes that I would finally learn how to use one of those silly Smart Phones.  I haven't really succeeded, but this so-called intelligent phone did come to my rescue on Saturday.  

My monroe piercing must be taken out for work, but I usually put it back in place immediately after my shift is over.  On this particular night, I forgot about my piercing that I love so much.  As I pulled into a parking lot to go to a friend's apartment, I remembered my monroe ring, grabbed it from the console, and decided to take it inside and put it in when I had access to a mirror.  When I was locking my door, I dropped the ring onto the parking lot. I crouched down to search, but its silver gleam was nowhere to be found.  When I was leaving the apartment two hours later, I had an idea.  I went to my car and downloaded the Flashlight application for my Blackberry Curve.  After patiently waiting a few moments, the application was installed and I stepped back onto the pavement to test out my big idea.  Within 10 seconds of shining my phone on the parking lot, I found my monroe ring! After going home and washing it and securing it into place on my face, I realized that I had completely relied on a cellular phone to fix my problem.  This wasn't a big deal at all, but I saw how dependent I'm becoming with technology.

Technology isn't bad.  That isn't what I'm getting at in this post.  It has done many, many great things for this world, but some technology is simply for those who have become lazy.  When I get Dunkin Donuts coffee, I want to pour in the cream and flavor myself; not push a button that dispenses a determined amount of cream and flavor. I don't want a phone that will fulfill my every day needs.  I want to do it on my own. 

Maybe a break from my laptop and hours of television is in order.  Maybe I'll blog about this experiment when I return to the internet. Or maybe I'll enjoy living simply so much that you'll never hear from me on Twitter or Facebook again. But probably not. 


No comments:

Post a Comment