Saturday, May 8, 2010

Ci turu Yeesu Kirist

"What are you doing this summer, Jazmin?"

"Well, I am going to Africa."

I've had this conversation probably over 50 times in recent months. At first, I announced my trip to Africa so casually. Now, when I tell people about this trip, it comes out in a panicky voice masked by an excited smile. It's real now. I'm leaving in less than three days. I'm absolutely filled with joy and excitement, but the panic and fear is still there.

But none of my fears and worries matter, because my God is so good. I have faith that He will provide. It's going to be frustrating at times, especially with the language barrier, but we've been called for a reason: to make His name known. We may not be able to flat-out tell them who Jesus is and hand them a Bible, but we CAN show them Christ. Respecting their faith and showing them Christ in us through our actions can make a larger impact than we sometimes realize.

So what am I up to this summer?

Well...

I am going to Africa in three days. Senegal, Africa, to be more specific. I am traveling with eight others and I can't wait to spend two weeks with them. I am living in the village for twelve days, learning the Senegalese way of life. I am going to speak very broken Wolof and probably do a lot of pantomiming to communicate with others. I am going to love on children and work in a medical clinic. I am going to build relationships and show people who Christ is.

No comments:

Post a Comment